2/3/09

Something To Think About


I just received an interesting email with "FW: Makes you think" as the subject line. As I noticed the email had been forwarded, I thought to myself; "Oh no... Not another chain letter!", but as I opened it, I became well surprised.

"This is a poem written by a teenage girl with cancer.", were the first line appearing on my screen after opening the email. It caught me. I just had to read the poem!

This is one amazing poem, written by a young teenage girl, who's going to die of cancer.

Please read it carefully. It might make you think about life, as much as it makes me.
___________________

SLOW DANCE

Have you ever watched kids,
On a merry-go-round?

Or listened to the rain,

Slapping on the ground?


Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight?

Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

You'd better slow down,

Don't dance so fast.

Time is short,

The music won't last.


Do you run through each day,
On the fly?


When you ask "How are you?",

Do you hear the reply?


When the day is done, Do you lie in your bed?

With the next hundred chores,
Running through your head?

You'd better slow down,

Don't dance so fast.
Time is short,

The music won't last.


Ever told your child,

We'll do it tomorrow?


And in your haste,

Not see his sorrow?


Ever lost touch,

Let a good friendship die,

'Cause you never had time,

To call and say "hi"?


You'd better slow down,

Don't dance so fast.

Time is short,

The music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere,

You miss half the fun of getting there.


When you worry and hurry through your day,

It is like an unopened gift...
Thrown away.


Life is not a race,
Do take it slower.

Hear the music,

Before the song is over.
___________________

What do you think of the poem?
Have you ever lost a beloved one to cancer?

Life is not a race,
Do take it slower.

Hear the music,

Before the song is over.

2 comments:

  1. I've read this one before, and yes, it sends out a potent message. Though family members have had cancer, they've never died due to it. But, the message is still the same for anyone, I think. And, I keep forgetting myself about what's truly important. Nice reminder:_

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely profound and beautiful! This is powerful! I agree we all need to slow dow, but everyone is telling us to hurry or we will loose something. I truly believe in taking the time to slow down and smell the roses or wood, or air or just listen to your inner voice. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It is so very appreciated. I know how fast the world is spinning and how busy everyone is. It's nice that you slowed down to take notice and leave a note. Thanks so very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete